Be someone who helps people look forward to tomorrow, and do it without the need for something in return. This has to be one of the fundamental reasons we are put on this Earth. There is so much JOY in doing something for someone without wanting anything in return. It is a beautiful feeling and if you haven’t tried it, you’re missing out on one of life’s remarkable blessings.
The act of helping others will make you feel better about yourself; you will be improving the life of another person and, more importantly, you will be changing the world one step at a time.
How can you make a difference? Here are 10 things to get you thinking:
- A heartfelt smile can create a smile in someone else’s heart and brighten up their day.
- Volunteer at a local charity; make an effort to find one. Call them up and make an appointment to volunteer. You will find volunteering to be one of the most amazing experiences in life.
- Donate some money to local or international charities or find some online charities. Make the donation a part of your monthly expenses so it becomes a habit.
- At your next birthday party, opt to redirect gifts by asking people to donate gifts or money to your favorite charity.
- The next time you see someone in need of help, stop and ask how you can help. Sometimes I randomly chat to people and ask them if they need help in any aspect of their life, I can’t do this with everyone so I always approach the topic very delicately. More often than not, I find that all people need is someone to listen to them talk so I lend an ear.
- Teach people a skill you know. Nobody ever says no when it comes to learning something that may benefit them. Maybe your grandma needs help to email a picture, or a colleague at work needs help with a report, computer program. Whatever it may be, take the time to help and share your skills.
- When you come across someone in grief, offer a hug, a helpful hand or a kind word. This will go a long way when someone has lost a loved one or suffered a loss or tragedy. If someone in grief seems to be lost and doesn’t know what to do, help them do something. It could be making funeral arrangements, it could be making a doctor’s appointment or making phone calls. Don’t do it all yourself, let them take action too because it helps in their healing process.
- Buy food for a homeless person. It could be something as simple as a sandwich, a bottle of water, a loaf of bread—all these are a good gesture. Remember to be respectful and friendly because most homeless people don’t get a lot of respect.
- Send a nice message to someone telling them how much you appreciate them, or how proud you are of them, or just say thank you for something they did. This can be in the form of an email or text message, but a phone is best.
- Show love and give love by finding ways to express your love to others, whether it is your partner, child, other family member, friend, co-worker, or a complete stranger. A hug, a kind word, spending time, showing little kindnesses, being friendly, it all matters more than you know. Bless people with pure love and light.